Saturday, February 26, 2022

Van Conversion - Day 61

 

Hello again (possibly, or not if this is your first visit! In which case, welcome!) There has been so much happening the last few weeks I'm not going to do a themed blog this time, but have a general look at progress so far. If you want to skip my meandering way of getting there, scroll down until you see 'UPDATE'...


At the point of writing there are a lot of horrific things happening in the world, and it is hard to feel positive about our own little journey. Knowing that people just like us are out there focusing purely on survival, while I'm here in a warm little office talking about cabinets and storage solutions. That said, and while I will always try to avoid political comment on our socials, my heart goes out to everyone in the Ukraine and further afield just fighting for a peaceful place to live. I stand with you in spirit, if not body. I can't imagine how suddenly your lives have turned upside down. 

Even before this invasion, news in the UK was not positive (when is it?!) but with so much focus on the rising cost of living it has given us a lot to ponder. More than once over the last few weeks we have made the comment to each other that we are glad to have already started the journey to full time vanlife. Although there will undoubtedly be challenges ahead in many shapes and sizes, we both feel that at least a few of our disappointments around the state of modern living are being smothered.

We started our vanlife journey back in the Autumn, before holders of our utilities,  rent, or phone tariff, all started to notify us of looming increases. We were already seeking a new option. As I've mentioned before, our vanlife journey isn't inspired by one of travel, instaperfect sunsets, or the desire to be trendy. (We have already been told we're not 'hip' or young enough for that!!) but a desire to both be free of other people (landlords, energy companies, and anyone else that reduces our standard of living in the name of profit) and to be able to save for our future. We fall into the 35-45 year old bracket, and for us we could be looking at a retirement age of 70+ and a pension pot not worth having. Saving money now will give us more financial freedom in the future, and more physical freedom now! 

I have always had a bit of a nomadic spirit anyway. I've never felt tied to anywhere so giving up a house and domestic routine wasn't a big deal. Mike is just used to moving now I think. As a couple we have moved five times in seven years; most of our belongings are permanently in storage. We've moved to follow degree courses, jobs, and new opportunities. Moving into a van and trying something different feels like a fairly natural progression in a weird way. This time we won't be moving geographically though. My business is in North Norfolk and it will be our anchor. We will bob around the countryside on the current, but we will not go far. Not this year at least. We do hope to travel the UK for one or two week holidays in the future, but its not 'the point' of our vanlife journey.

Unfortunately (or possibly fortunately!) for our followers, they won't be getting tiktoks of us dancing around in exotic locations, or instagood pics of us being romantic over a campfire... its likely going to be a little more real than that. It'll be me going getting up for work in the morning, and Mike emptying out the ash from the woodburner, or us parked up in another not so glamourous place while stealth camping. All of that is still a few weeks off however...

UPDATE

We now have all four of our porthole windows installed, and all the floor and wall insulation in. The main job this week is for my Dad to build the bed frame and internal structures.  We intend moving in before the end of March, which means we will prioritize those things we need to make it habitable. Our shower/loo isn't plumbed and will be for emergencies only so that's actually not top of the list. Right now we are focusing on getting the bed frame made so we can order our mattress. Mike and I have different ideas over what 'habitable' means, so I think we are going for a compromise! For me 'habitable' means shelter and somewhere to sleep. Lighting, heating, and cooking can be making use of our back up solutions, which are largely not fixed and will be stored in the van in case of any of the main systems failing. Its at this point I should probably point out that my inner survivalist is largely responsible for this attitude. I don't 'need' a lot, but at the same time I hate being unprepared. Our back up solutions look like battery rechargable hurricane lights, portable gas stove and heater. We don't need the woodstove fitted or overhead lighting to be able to sleep in it over night temporarily. That's where I'm coming from. Mike views habitable more as all the basics done, but maybe not having got around to the soft furnishings and decorative bits. We will probably land somewhere in the middle, though the aim is always to get as much done before we give up our cottage.


I have been working six days a week at our shop for the last few weeks, so I've missed a lot of our build. Thus far all the hard work has been done my Mike and my Dad. I'm hoping to get more involved when it comes to finishing the interior and making it a home. 

So, with that I'm going to leave it here for this post. I've had some thoughts about things I'd like to write about in future posts, but if anyone has any suggestions of things they'd like to see me cover or questions they'd like to answer in a blog, please comment or DM us here or on any of our socials and I'll see what I can do! 

Until next time friends.... thank you for reading. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment