Sunday, January 9, 2022

A Very Basic Home on Wheels - Day 13

 So here we are on Day 13...

While Norma is sat in the workshop waiting patiently for her mechanic to return to work after his Christmas break, we have been drawing out our layout designs and discussing deeply boring things such as insulation, ventilation, and electrics. I'm sure there are many who find those bits interesting, but the artist within me just wants to start creating! Needless to say, I'm leaving much of that grown up stuff to Mike who has the patience for it...


-

We have read the books, watched the YouTubes, and followed (what feels like) every van-lifer account across social media. The one thing that has become very apparent is that out wants and needs are significantly less than most other self-build conversions. Our set up is going to be comfortable, but basic. Perhaps it was growing up with my Dad, a mechanic. Spending much of my childhood watching him take things to bits and put things back together, the phrase 'the more you put in the more there is to go wrong' is now forever tattooed to the inside of my mind. 

I suspect also that our lack of requirements also stems from our history or living in very old, cold, and un-modern cottages. From the studio-flat we rented while Mike was at Uni, which only had half a kitchen (no cooker, hob, or washing machine) to the Scottish cottage with single glazing and no central heating, I think we are just used to making do. I was quite happy doing a weekly trip to the laundrette, and I actually get a bit uncomfortable in overly hot dry houses when I visit family now. 

We could tell from the things that people asked us when we told them of our vanlife plans that our life was already different to most. If it wasn't 'OMG what will you do without a telly', it was 'you won't be able to have a bath!'. Well, we haven't watched tv in the last two years. We own a TV for DVD watching, but it only really gets used at Christmas for our annual outing of 'It's a Wonderful Life' and 'Die Hard'. We could, of course, have a telly in a van, but we're not going to. 

and the bath? Well, we haven't got one where we've lived the last two and a half years, so I'm sure we will cope. We are actually budgeting for a monthly or fortnightly stay in a hotel or b&b as part of my 'work/life balance' improvement, so I'll probably have MORE access to baths than I have done in some time!! 

No, we are actually stripping our routines to the basics and focussing on comfort and warmth, over tech and entertainment. We do also have the privilege of my shop and workshop with facilities, which of course most vanlifers don't. We aren't selling off our worldly goods, but storing them for the future. We haven't closed the door on owning a home again one-day, we are just giving ourselves time to save for one we can afford without going into debt, while having an adventure before we get old and overly cautious of the risk. We are aware our vanlife journey is different, and I think that's the best thing about this community. Everyone is writing their own story, unencumbered by the rules of 'traditional' society.

Not only is our van-build basic, its also going to be a reflection of our personal taste and principles. I am used to antique furniture and upcycled bits and bobs. I've never had to assemble Ikea furniture in my life, and I don't plan on assembling an 'interior' kit for the van. While some of the modern builds look stunning, some of them feel very 'cold' in their sleekness. Our van will definitely feel lived in! We will use a mix of antique and reclaimed materials for everything possible, except maybe some of the wood panelling. I have materials left over from the interior build of my shop too, so they will be utilised where possible. We are hoping to start buying what we need to start in the next few weeks, so watch out for updates incoming on the socials!

Thanks for reading, we hope to see you next time! (Rosie) 

No comments:

Post a Comment