Saturday, January 1, 2022

Van Conversion Day 5 - New Years Day

 Happy New Year!

I'm going to resist the urge to dwell on the year past, as I think we can all agree that its been a questionable one at best! Though personally I've learned a lot of lessons and proved to myself that patience is indeed a virtue. Rotten fruit will always drop from the tree before its time to blossom again. I'm going to use this day to look to the year ahead. Its been five days since we picked up Norma and she's sat quietly over at my Dads workshop. He is going to give her a full service and check over before we take her home and start work on her. 


Mike has gone back to work after his Christmas break, and I've been busy setting up our Vanlife Norfolk shop website, so we've not had much chance to confer with regard to our respective ideas. Our main issue with the design at the moment is finding a sleeping solution for Mike as he's 6'4 and could easily take up the whole floorspace given the chance! I'm a clear foot shorter, so if I were alone I'd happily run a bed along the width of the van and lots of space left over. So far the best option is a bunk, as we have the space in a hi-top to accommodate this, but we need to see how we want to fit everything else in too.

So, day 5 of the conversion hasn't been particularly active on the practical side, but I'll blame New Years for that. I've been encouraged seeing the support on social media for the project and over the last few days been left convinced that vanlifers are some of the nicest people you'll meet! I guess when you're living a life of your choosing you have less to be negative about. Both our instagram and twitter accounts have slowly been growing and it totally makes up for the occasional unhelpful/negative/judgmental reactions we've had from 'real life' friends and family.

I'm not new to living a life the society thinks is a bit weird, but comments from people I thought better of before have been disappointing. After talking to other vanlifers, its great to know that we are not alone. Moving from the 9-5/rent paying/living for friday nights lifestyle to one of freedom, where exploration and life experience count for more than a perceived 'stability' in society is a journey I'm greatly looking forward to. Its going to be better for our mental health, our bank account, and our work/life balance, and if our friends aren't onboard with that, they're probably not our friends anymore.

Its been great seeing other how other vanlifers have spent their New Year. Many have made for the coast and I've been day dreaming a little about what we might be doing this time next year. My business is only four miles from the sea as it is, and Mike works at a coastal nature reserve, so I imagine we will spend a lot more time looking at the water this coming year. 

Anyway, we are into a new year and the only thing we can do is make the best of whatever life throws our way. If I've learned anything about people this year, its to trust your instincts and trust their energy. Don't give more chances than are deserved, and don't be afraid to find a new tribe if you need to. Some people are damaged beyond repair and some people are just patiently waiting to be found. Keep evolving! 


.


No comments:

Post a Comment